Saturday 11 January 2014

Superhuman Subhumans and Subordination

So... I have hit a new low in the quest to find a paycheck. I failed the entrance exam... There was no interview, in fact, I barely saw or spoke to another human during the process. I didn't fail the entire test, but rather, I passed the math and English portions of the test, but failed the French... It was a written exam to try to determine if i am qualified to answer the phone for an insurance company... Obviously spelling is an important quality in any conversation... I know others who already work at this company who are more bilingual than I am, or are actually French in mother tongue who said the French portion of the exam is hard... Well, enough about that...

This is where we've arrived at, companies are now middle school. Of course, this does match up quite well with the fact that management in most companies seem to treat their position as though they are some kind of kindergarten teacher.

How did we get here? How did we come to the point when a job interview requires that you pass a written exam? Corporations are not people... Corporations don't treat people with even the most miniscule attempt to appear human... The rejection came as a prefab email which even goes so far as to claim that they value social media and i may follow them via LinkedIn... Bah! The only human interactions were a phone call to set an appointment, and a receptionist leading me to the sterile closet in which I was to write my test... Social what?

OK, now that's really enough of that...

We've been chided and cattle-prodded down this corridor to this new normal by those who would like us to simply keep going down this road because it's the only apparent road. It isn't. That's all lore created for us to think there were some kind of 'freedom of choice' which is a failsy (my spell check hates this word, kill me if it's wrong). for example: when you drink an orange crush to wash down your Doritos and Caramilk all of the proceeds ended up at PepsiCo (funny, my spell check has no problem with the word PepsiCo and even capitalizes if twice, i made no such intention to make this word look like it's trademarked namesake as i thumbfucked it into my phone).

These are simple things we should always ask ourselves: why does PepsiCo correct itself on my Android phone while i can't seem to hit the '...' on my virtual keyboard in order to manually add thumbfucked? (Nope it autocorrected to thumb tucked, which coincidentally, also does not predict itself while attempting to tuck one's thumbs... wherever one might tuck their thumbs...

I know that i could go back to never-never land if only i had my ruby red slippers, but without a flow of income i was not allowed entry into that exclusive auction. My girlfriend and in-laws grow ever more tired of 'this charade' of looking for work and are not easily convinced that i don't deliberately throw the match as though i have bet against myself no matter how many 'fruitful possibilities' are sent my way. Instead i get bullshit feedback on 'the law of averages' (or was that Murphy?) suggesting that i simply want to milk off of others, while that being a total inverse of the truth... I WANT OTHERS TO UNDERSTAND THE WORLD, yet, people see it via the narrow scope of the lens of whatever they choose to believe, often citing reports of Canadian job growth while failing to note that the job market in Quebec continues to shrink. Some truths are simply less convenient than others and are therefore discarded, that's simply how it works in the mind of most people.

How hypocritical is it that those closest to me have only learned and accepted a small portion of the much larger picture? My girlfriend accepts that i am completely anti- consumerist, but that only leads to her asking if if mind joining her at the mall while i am hostage in her speeding car, it doesn't lead her to not go to the mall or to make less trips to it. Is this a total failure or only a partial one? It feels pretty complete in those moments while I carry bags of newly purchased garbage so her hands are free to open her wallet to the next register, yet not so complete in that I was hijacked in order to find myself in this situation to begin with.

I suppose I will end this posting by explaining the infrequency of my writing these past few months. I had seen a pattern forming in which I would publish a post then suddenly receive negative feedback on employment opportunities... Well it would appear that this pattern had no direct relation to itself, so maybe I'll start writing more frequently now that my little experiment has disproven the theory.

-dirtykid©

2 comments:

  1. Well it's off to Alberta with you then. Surely in that land of big hats and lots of trucks you will find sustenance of the pocketbook while it slowly leaches out your soul from the even greater I need a big truck cause I think my dick is small cowboy mentality. The northern Texas calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and all for the sake of destroying the environment to get at environment destroying fossil fuels to drive the i need a bigger truck to eat more oil to get me more work to afford a bigger truck. I understand the irony quite well.

      Delete