Thursday 29 January 2015

Two Minutes Closer To Midnight and other Poorly Contextualized Framings

If I have to read one more headline about deflated footballs I an going to scream... The bait and switch misdirection monkeys owe me at least ten to fifteen minutes of my life back as I figure that's about how long it took me to quickly ignore the couple of dozen hundred headlines and expert opinions about just how hard it is to deflate a football... WHAT THE FUCK?!!!

I'd say I feel better having ranted that, but it would be a lie, so I won't.

While I'm discussing lost time, it's my understanding that a clock just skipped a minute, bringing us 2 minutes closer to midnight. Not that I live or die by the words of Nobel piece-prize laureates (bad autocorrect left on purpose), given their recent track record on giving the prize to unconvicted war criminals... Maybe it's all based on the word of an ex-president too, for all I know...

I did catch a great article on the world bank / IMF over at Corbett report which I encourage everyone to read. Let's face it, poverty and hunger in Africa would have been wiped out decades ago if that's what these vampires truly wanted and that statement should be it's own proof... At least it has been for me. Which is what leads me to wonder why are they charged with keeping a list like this in the first place? Should I believe the list to be accurate -OR- should I be running out to do business with only companies on this list? I'd say it's best to go with the moniker of 'takes one to know one' or 'pot calling the kettle black' given what I already know and hate in regards to SNC Lavalin... But I so hate actually agreeing with the world bank that I'm torn on this one.

It's all in who frames the picture. For example this person is blaming technology for dissolving national borders, yet governments started the process with free-trade agreements and tax incentives. Consider just how much easier it is for your job to permanently move to another country. Heck, most times the other country even pays them to move there. Now maybe you get to visit that country for three months while you train people (who are to be paid a fraction of your salary) how to be you, and maybe you're valuable enough that you simply show up for work one morning and the place is for rent, but either way, they know it's harder to move a person than an entire business permanently to a different country... Besides, the linked article seems to think a passport (which I don't even own) defines ones nationality... Wrong. The tax office that threatens you with jail, bankruptcy, and or public flogging if you don't pay them defines your nationality, because if it were all about passports, I'd have a whole lot more in my pocket than this ball of lint.

if In case you needed another example, young people are a lost generation who cannot fix gadgets... If you are like I am (prone to opening and trying to fix gadgets) you understand that most gadgets are designed to rip themselves apart thanks to strategically placed glue and flimsy ribbon cables, or even poorly soldered chips or other appendages. The original iPod nano is a great example, if one of those died under warranty Apple simply gave you a new one because they knew it would cost more to fix than it was worth. Well, this practice is not limited to Apple and iPods, it now applies to many consumer electronics devices and gadgets. Even some $2000+ laptops fall into this category in so much as there might be an 'SSD' or 'M.2' hard disk or '8gb RAM' or even a 'GTX970 video card' which is not actually a separate component at all, but is soldered to the main board... Some laptops even go so far as to solder the keyboard to the back of the motherboard... All the convenience of a laptop, with the disposability of a tablet... They simply haven't figured out how to make the screen a directly attached component yet because it's not very easy to type on the back of the screen... They'll eventually figure that one out though...

-d©

No comments:

Post a Comment